The Vergers' Guild of the Diocese of Dallas at their recent planning meeting
The Vergers Guild of the Diocese of Dallas (VGDD) is a group of vergers who serve in churches throughout the Episcopal Diocese of Dallas. The chapter was formally chartered by the VGEC on September 29, 1994 at the 6th Annual Conference in Indianapolis, Indiana.
The VGDD chooses service projects annually that align with their charge to serve God through service to others. In 1875, the Rt. Rev. Alexander Garrett became the first Bishop of the Diocese of Dallas when he named the parish of St. Matthew as the Cathedral. Bishop Garrett is known for his extensive work as both a frontier preacher as well as teacher traveling far and wide by train, horse-drawn wagon, and on horseback spreading the Gospel with doses of humor and plain-spoken vernacular.
In 2003, vergers of the Diocese learned that the burial site of the founding Bishop had fallen into a sad state of disrepair. For many years, they have collaborated with the Knights of Columbus to volunteer to clear and maintain the grave sites of Bishop Garrett and his family. Click HERE
to see photos of a recent gathering to clean the graves.
The Diocese of Dallas Chapter was formally established on 29 September 1994 with chair Don Taylor.